Every smile is unique and beautiful. Some have a smile that may appear gummy, which is still irresistible! But, if you want to improve a gummy smile, your dentist may recommend gum reduction in Newmarket.
How does gum reduction in Newmarket work?
Excess gums may result in a gummy smile. Some patients may find this a little discomfiting and may seek a cosmetic solution. In this case, a gum reduction method will be perfect. The procedure aims to cut away extra gum tissues, especially those exposed when the patient opens their mouth. Once done, the transformation is indeed remarkable and changes your life for the best.
Is gum reshaping necessary?
There are different approaches to reshaping the gums. Some may need reduction, and then others may need more gum tissues. This all depends on your dentist’s evaluation. If you go to your dentist and would ask to improve a gummy smile, then that’s cosmetic contouring.
Nevertheless, gum reshaping becomes necessary when:
- You need facial reconstruction after a severe physical trauma
- Your gums are receeding away from your teeth, which could lead to tooth loss
- Your teeth becomes less effective in chewing your food because there’s too much gums holding them
- To reverse a gum infection or periodontal disease
There are a few other reasons why you will need gum contouring. If you realize that this treatment is for you, call your dentist so they can help you with your gum issues.
What happens during gum reduction
Gum reduction is a surgical procedure done by your dentist. These are what you can expect during the treatment:
- Drawing on your gums to locate which part needs to be cut or change
- Applying local anesthetic on the affected site to numb it
- Removing or sculpting along the mark lines
If you are anxious about this treatment but still want to proceed, talk to your dentist. There are options to help you relax on your dentist’s chair. They might suggest you consider sedation dentistry.
Visit your Newmarket dentist soon and achieve that beautiful and healthy smile you’ve been dreaming of!